Glory Women

UK Minister Condemns East London Mosque for Barring Women from Charity Run

Communities Secretary Steve Reed calls it “absolutely unacceptable” after women were excluded from a charity run in Victoria Park, prompting an EHRC investigation.

The Communities Secretary, Steve Reed, has expressed deep concern and disappointment after women were barred from participating in a fundraising run organized by East London Mosque in Victoria Park. The 5 km charity race, which took place on Sunday, drew hundreds of participants but allowed only men, boys, and girls under 12, excluding women entirely. Though advertised as an “inclusive” community event, the restriction on women’s participation sparked widespread criticism and raised questions about equality and inclusion.

Steve Reed said he was “horrified and appalled” upon learning that women were not permitted to join. Speaking on LBC Radio, he stated that such exclusion was “absolutely unacceptable” in modern Britain and emphasized that the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) would investigate the matter. “It’s completely wrong that women should be blocked from taking part in a fun run in a public space while men are allowed to do so,” Reed said, adding, “We cannot tolerate that.”

The East London Mosque, which has hosted the event for 12 years, described it as a highlight of the East London Muslim calendar, raising thousands for local and international causes including food banks, youth programs, and refugee support. However, the decision to exclude women has overshadowed the event’s charitable goals and drawn condemnation from community leaders and the public.

In response to the controversy, the mosque has not directly addressed why women were barred but emphasized its “long-standing commitment to supporting women and girls.” A spokesperson stated that the mosque encourages women to take part in various sports, highlighting Muslim women’s participation in marathons, cycling, hiking, and other charity challenges. “We remain committed to listening to our community and ensuring our programmes serve everyone,” the spokesperson added.

The Tower Hamlets Council, under Mayor Lutfur Rahman, also weighed in, confirming that it had contacted the mosque for clarification. “This was an independent event held in Victoria Park, not organized by the council,” a spokesperson said. “We are firmly committed to ensuring leisure and sporting activities in Tower Hamlets are inclusive and accessible.”

Mayor Rahman had earlier congratulated the participants on the mosque’s website, praising the event as a unifying community effort. However, after the backlash, the council sought an explanation for the gender restrictions and reiterated its stance on inclusivity in public spaces.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission acknowledged the complaints, noting that while equality laws prohibit discrimination, there are exceptions that allow belief-based or charitable organizations to restrict participation under specific conditions. Still, the watchdog confirmed it was reviewing the incident carefully to determine whether any legal breaches occurred.

The controversy has sparked a wider debate about the balance between religious freedoms and gender equality in community events. Many have questioned how an event advertised as “inclusive” could exclude women altogether. Reed’s remarks underscore the government’s commitment to ensuring fairness and equality in all public activities, regardless of religious or cultural context.

As the investigation proceeds, the case serves as a reminder that inclusivity and equal opportunity remain central to British public life. The outcome may influence how similar faith-based community events are organized in the future, reinforcing the message that no one should be left out in the name of tradition or belief.

Related Articles

Back to top button