Peshawar mosque blast toll shoots up to 93
The death toll in the devastating suicide attack at a mosque inside the Peshawar Police headquarters rose to 93 on Tuesday morning, with 221 people wounded.
Among those killed were several police officers, including DSP Arab Nawaz and five sub-inspectors. The mosque’s prayer leader was also among those killed.
The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) claimed responsibility for the suicide attack, saying it was in retaliation for the death of TTP commander Umer Khalid Kharasani in Afghanistan in August last year.
A frantic rescue mission continued the whole night at the mosque, which had an entire wall and some of its roof blown out by the suicide hit.
“Many policemen are buried under the rubble,” said Peshawar police chief Muhammad Ijaz Khan, who estimated between 300 and 400 officers usually attended prayers.
Flag Half-Mast
KP Caretaker Chief Minister Muhammad Azam Khan has announced a day of mourning in the province today following the heinous attack. The national flag will be at half-mast across the province, he said, adding, “The government share the grief of the martyrs’ families.”






